Sunday, April 3, 2016

A Family Affair











I had to deliver some art to a show today in Alexandria, LA,
and this pond is on the way home.  I had put my rubber boots
and camera in the car, hoping the birds were still nesting
there.  I found only a few.  Our recent floods likely washed
away a lot of the nests and young birds.  There were only 4 nests,
and 15 birds.  There are usually 200 birds nesting here.  They do
respond to the weather when it is strange.  I remember when we
had a hurricane several years ago, you couldn't find an egret nest
in any of their usual rookeries.  I believe they went west to Texas,
and nested there.  They did return eventually.  So hopefully,
next spring, there will be more nesting birds here.  In the meantime,
you can enjoy peeking in on these growing families, and
their fuzzy young.

sheltongail@hotmail.com

No comments: