Monday, July 18, 2016

A Change of Heart

Finished another little watercolor of a
Louisiana subject...a great egret perched on a
stump in the swamp.

There was a time when I wouldn't have ever painted
something like this.  When I first moved to Louisiana from
Texas, I painted and drew the local landmarks and I did
a lot of wildlife, mostly ducks and deer.  I thought the
"white bird in the swamp" was a little cliche'...a LOT of
artists in Louisiana did that kind of painting.  I believed they
did not need one more.  I did not want to do such an over-worked
subject, and felt I had nothing to add.  Over the years, I have grown to
love the swampy parts of this state, and the beautiful birds
that live there.  I have taken numerous swamp tours, and spent lots
of time photographing these graceful birds.  I have done lots of paintings
and drawings of them...and I enjoy doing them.  They do sell well,
and most people who walk into the gallery, are looking for Louisiana subject
matter...often the "white bird in the swamp"!!  So, there will be some more
paintings  like these...so if you like them, great.  If you don't, maybe
they will grow on you.  Just give it a little time!

sheltongail@hotmail.com

No comments: