I've been working on this drawing all night, and it is just about done.
Sometimes they just come together quickly and easily. And then
sometimes, the struggle to capture the likeness is a long process!
That's when I go through a mental and visual checklist:
1. Is it the eyes? Are they the right shape, distance apart, pupil in the
right place, eyelids correct? etc
2. Is it the shape of the face? the right contour? the right size, proportion?
3. What about the nose? too flat? too big?? too small?
4. Mouth? slight smile? open or closed? lips need to be thinner or thicker?
5. Hair/Head right shape, value, outline
Anyway, there is a lot that goes into one of these portraits. My daughter and
husband are good sounding boards. They can almost always pinpoint what it
is that is not quite right. And if something is not quite right, it will not look like
them. Everything has to be perfect. And sometimes, perfection takes a long time.
But not tonight! Maybe it has something to do with how cute she is!