Wednesday, March 23, 2011

In the Beginning...

Someone asked me this week, "When did I start doing
photography?" Most people think of me as a painter,
or someone who draws; but my photographs have always
come first. I started taking pictures in my teens. And I
bought my first 35 mm camera, a Vivitar, when I was
18. My father split the cost with me (it was $189.00!)
This is me, about 19, on the banks of a stream in central
Texas, shooting some scenery. My brother took this
picture of me, and it is one of a very few where I am in the
picture!




I have always started with the photos, and used them as

references for paintings and drawings. With the advent of

all this digital stuff, my photographs have been elevated into

the "art" catagory as well. It is much easier to take them,

print them, and share them. My brother will be so amused

to hear me say all that....I was dragged kicking and screaming

into the digital age. But I have no choice now, and I have

learned to embrace it.

This is one of the first photos I tried to market and sell. I

just sold another print of this image just last week. It is

somewhere on a quaint corner in Venice.

I am preparing to submit some images soon to some

Christian publishers...will have to see what happens!

It's time for the circle to come full circle I hope.

sheltongail@hotmail.com

Venice Lamp Post 11 x 14 $50.00

1 comment:

Art instruction DVDs said...

This is such a great site! I like the works of art!...Daniel