Friday, July 25, 2014

Gone to Market








If you have followed me for any length of time, you know that I love
markets.  Anytime I get the chance to go to one, I do.  We had the
chance the second day we were in Quito.  We drove outside of town to the
town of Otovalo, the location of a large outdoor marketplace.  There
were lots of textiles: blankets, rugs, clothing, scarves, etc.  There was also
a lot of fruit.  It is always very colorful...fun to draw or paint.  And
then there were Panama hats...nice straw ones that usually end up as
souveniers in boxes in the upper storage of the plane.  And then
there were also some colorful characters...the interesting man with the
dreadlocks playing the instrument and the pan flute; and the
weathered old woman who had just gotten out of a taxicab...
nice contrast.

This is the page in my sketchbook that I painted while I was there in the
market.  I found a bench, even though it was in the sun, where I
could view the market and do a quick little painting.  The paint dried
instantly...no waiting for it to dry!  I love painting on location,
and this time was no different.

I will be making digital copies of the sketchbook again this year,
for sale.  If you think you might be interested, just let me know.
They will be $100, and will contain all of my paintings as well as
some of my photography.


sheltongail@hotmail.com

No comments: