Friday, July 20, 2007

The state flower of Alaska is the "forget me not". These tiny flowers were blooming along the
road, and in the meadows. You had to bend down to get a good look at them, because they are very small. I mentioned before that there were a lot of wildflowers, and that surprised me. The guide told us that they thrive because of the long daylight hours in the summer, up to 20 hours a day. When we were there, the sun set at 11:45 at night, and rose about 4 am! And it never really was dark, just a kind of dusk when the sun was down. It made it very hard to go to bed...you kept thinking you would go to bed when it got dark..and it never did. I think I could get used to it, but I know I wouldn't like the long dark winters where the opposite is true...they only have a few hours of daylight. How different their life is from ours. I believe I will stay in the South!


Original Watercolor 5 x 7 $25.00 SOLD

No comments: