Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Watercolor Hero

Is this not beautiful?  This is a painting by Mort Solberg, one of my
heroes.  I have always LOVED his style...the loose wet background with
the detailed wildlife subject.  I was thrilled to get to see him
in action at the Susan K. Black foundation workshop a few
years ago in Wyoming.  They are currently holding a fund raiser for
a fellow artist involved with the workshop, John Phelps.  He is battling
cancer, and artists are banning together to raise money by donating their artwork.
I bought this print as part of the effort.  I just love it.

So, when the print arrived, I was intrigued with the technique, and decided to
try to imitate his style...just for fun.  I painted the wet loose background, sprinkling
salt on the dark blue areas.  Dabbing with a Kleenex lifts the paint and leaves the
ethereal misty parts.  When dry, I painted the egret with some acrylic paint,
and added the branch.  I like it.  I may try to adapt this method, and do
some of my own semi-abstract creations!

sheltongail@hotmail.com
"Solberg" inspired Watercolor
11 x 14  $100

Phelps Phund on Facebook 
You can buy some artwork to support this cause

No comments: