Saturday, December 11, 2010

to Abstract or not to Abstract














"Abstract art is a product of the untalented, sold by the
unprincipled to the utterly bewildered."
Al Capp
I am sitting in the Salt Lake City airport, and these abstract
paintings are lining the wall across from me. As a traditional
realist, I seldom do any abstract pieces. But I do like some of
it; the ones that use some design principles and elements,
and exhibit some skill and craftsmanship. But I have seen
some abstract work that is mentioned in the quote above...
I have been in some shows next to these types of artists,
and have listened to them trying to convince the viewer of
the merits of the paint smeared on the canvas. It always
reminds me of the story of the "Emperor's New Clothes".
Some shake their heads and move on, and some reach for
their checkbook. go figure...You can certainly leave me a
comment stating your opinion. I would love to hear some
input.
gail shelton art

No comments: