Monday, July 12, 2010

Southern Grapes



Traveling in Greece, we saw lots of beautiful
grapes on the vine. My husband and I took a
walk yesterday on our land, and I saw these
beautiful grapes, still on their vine.
These are muscadines, pronounced "mus-kee-dyn"
here in the South. They grow wild in the woods,
and we spotted these near a clearing not far from
the house. There are people that would
love to know I have these growing on my property.
They make all kinds of things from these,
including jelly and wine! I have never had any of
either one, but I am sure it would be interesting.
Maybe I'll pick some, and find someone to use
them..till then, they make a lovely photograph.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Muscadine jelly is the best! I have childhood memories of picking them and helping make the delicious jelly.

The University of Arkansas' College of Agriculture Experimental Farm is just a few miles from my house. They have worked in the past to develop domestic strains. Many people plant these domesticated varities in arbors.

Gail H. Shelton said...

I haven't ever tried any...I will have to try and find some. We could probably sell it in our cafe.